1. Are you ready for new? Is 2016 likely to be very different than 2015? Do you want it to be?
I certainly am. A lot is changing this year. I am starting a new job in a few weeks time, I am going to run to be an official member of the FTM Brighton committee, and I am going to try and carry on losing weight. I have a few resolutions, but overall I just want to be a better person.
2. January 6th is National Technology Day. Currently, what is your single biggest struggle or frustration when it comes to technology?
The price! I adore tech, I am a techie myself, but the main drawback is how damn expensive it is. Why can’t these things come at affordable rates?
3. It’s that time again…time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they’d like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2016. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year’s top vote getters are-
So (at the start of every single sentence), conversation (as in hotly debated topics where we’re invited to ‘join the conversation’), problematic, stakeholder, price point, secret sauce, break the Internet, walk it back, presser, manspreading (common in larger cities where some men take up the entire bus or train seat by sitting wide), vape, giving me life (refers to anything that may excite a person or make them laugh), and physicality
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you’d like to add?
I honestly had not heard of this before, I think so would be my word though off of that list. I use it a lot myself and I hate myself for doing it!
4. Share one of your current health related goals.
Get my vitamin D levels back to a more stable number. I would like my body not to hate me every time I do the smallest lift or run a few meters. I would like to not get pins and needles every time I sit cross legged (as I am while writing this). It is extremely frustrating!
5. Let’s talk fifty shades of gray. As in the color. Gray is currently a popular color in home decor, paint, wardrobes, hair, wedding party attire, and more. Are you a fan? Do you have the color in some variation in your home or wardrobe? Gray hair, the old gray mare, gray matter, gray area…which gray idiom can you most relate to right now?
I like grey, but we don’t have a lot of it in the house, We have blacks, but less so grey. I would like to introduce it into my wardrobe properly again at some point, but more in a subtle way such as through socks and fleeces/jumpers.
6. Certain foods are considered ‘lucky’ if eaten on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day. Cooked greens to bring economic fortune, black-eyed peas or lentils also symbolize money, pork which symbolizes progress, fish for good luck, and if you’re in Spain 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight. Did you eat any lucky foods on the first day of the year? Is that a tradition in your home? Of the foods listed, which most appeals to you?
I hadn’t actually heard of any of that until recently. A friend of mine told me about the grapes thing and I think that one seemed the most interesting. I was working new years eve and new years day, and I got ill in between by having a dodgy burger NYE, as I didn’t have a break at work and so had to work all through the day.
7. What’s the single biggest time waster in your life and what, if anything, will you do about it this year?
I love it, but I also hate it. I need to regulate the way I use the internet this year, actually be aware of if I am being productive, enjoying leisure time, or wasting time when I should be doing other things.
8. Insert your own random thought here
I got a new job! I will update more soon. But my last day is on Sunday with the current place and my last three clients are my regulars which is brilliant.
Go check out the other Wednesday Hodgepodge writers!