Hello faithful followers! I am so busy at the moment that the blog has been suffering and I am very sorry for that. I hope you all enjoyed my last post about my top surgery though, it took a lot to write. Also as a heads up, Christmas day marks 2 years on testosterone for me, so look out for a post then about my journey.
Today is another installment of one of my favourite linkups, Wednesday Hodgepodge!
1. Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.
I am sure we do but writing now I honestly can’t think of what it would be. We have a few quirky stories in the family, but I can’t remember many off the top of my head.
What I can think about is the kind of tradition thing my brother and I have been doing to each other for a while now. Each year we will get each other a small gift that gets wrapped and wrapped and wrapped all in a layer or two of paper then coated in sellotape so that it’s nigh-on impossible to open without scissors (which you can’t do as that’s cheating).
2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?
It completely depends on the situation. As a general rule, no I am not. However in some places I find it hard. For example, in a lot of queer spaces I am seen as cis and male (neither of which I am). I acknowledge that I have the privilege to be seen that way, and my opinion’s are listened to outside of queer spaces because of this. However inside I am often left feeling as though I can not speak up as I am not ‘queer enough’.
Also at work I am unable to speak my opinion with my clients as it breaks the professional boundaries. In some instances things are said that I really disagree with or find hurtful but I can’t say anything. It comes as part of the job but it doesn’t make it any easier.
3. Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm…did you know serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it’s blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I’d find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?
I was not aware that serenity was a colour, however looking at the two I think they are both very lovely. I don’t have either in my home or wardrobe but I am always looking to try new things. With new found confidence in my gender presentation I feel more able to express myself and may give them a go!
4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?
My all time favourite Christmas Carol has always been Silent Night, so I would go for that one. It is just so lovely.
5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What’s your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?
I will admit I am a regular at the bakery in the town I work. I purchased a baguette and a yum yum from them just yesterday!
My all time favourite pastry though is probably the Gregg’s Chicken Bake. It tastes so damn good. I haven’t had one in a while though.
I haven’t made a pastry since I was in school but I’d certainly like to give it a go again some time.
6. When it comes to holiday decorating_____________________________.
I find it really fun. But this year we aren’t doing too much because we aren’t celebrating Christmas together. Tyler and I celebrated last year with a roast and some decoration, but this year I promised Tyler we would not do a roast or any of that as we are doing it his way. Tyler doesn’t really celebrate and so I am happy to go with that.
I will be seeing my mum & the rest of my close family hopefully on boxing day though so I will be celebrating with them and their homes are largely decorated already!
7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Explain.
Last Tuesday we had a really good laugh at the pub with friends but I don’t recall it hurting after! I do love the times when it happens though, and I feel it is so good for you.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today I am going to pick up my first electric razor and I am so excited to use it! My beard is looking particularly scraggly now and so today I am going to trim it down and make it look presentable. This is a massive thing for me and I am really looking forward to it.
That’s all for today, but go check out the other entries to the Hodgepodge, or even add your own! Come back and let me know if you do, or just let me know your thoughts on my post. It will be great to hear from you.