Hello faithful followers! Today is another edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge and I hope you all enjoy it!
1. In two or three sentences tell us what Veteran’s Day means to you?
Remembrance day means thinking back to all of those people who died and still die for the country’s honour. And by that I mostly mean for the government’s honour. I am definitely a pacifist when it comes to war and I don’t think we should have so many wars. However I also do believe it is vital to have an army/etc just so that when the time comes that another government attacks, people are protected. However I don’t agree with the way people are trained (from what I know of it, which admittedly isn’t a massive amount) as I have seen people come back from war completely different and not whole anymore.
I do have the uttermost respect for the people who do go, I don’t think I could do the same myself. It always makes me think back to Andrea Gibson’s poem ‘For Eli’. One part in particular.
“how many wars will it take us to learn
that only the dead return
the rest remain forever caught between worlds of
shrapnel shatters body of three year old girl
welcome to McDonalds can I take your order?
the mortar of sanity crumbling
stumbling back home to a home that will never be home again”
2. What’s your favorite film with a patriotic theme woven into the storyline?
I will be completely honest and say I can’t think of a film that fits this category for me from the UK. The closest I can think of is a play that has a war theme and that is the Music Hall piece “Oh! What a Lovely War!” Which talks about war.
3. Flu shot-yes or no? If you answered no, do you plan to get a flu shot? If not, why not? Have you ever had the flu?
Yes. I got mine done last month. I am not sure how effective it is but as a carer with a low immune system I figured it was a good idea to get it just in case. I have had the flu before and seen people get dangerously ill with the flu so I don’t want to chance it.
4. I’ve seen lots of people posting pictures of their Christmas trees up and decorated. Many stores have had Christmas on display since well before Halloween. Red cups are back at Starbucks, sans the holiday decor, and that has some people up in arms. What are your thoughts on all the holiday ruckus this second week of November?
WHY?! That is my first thought. It is NOVEMBER. NOT DECEMBER! Haha like, it is way too early! I can get presents shopping starting now but actually putting up the tree? Doesn’t anyone know that is bad luck? One (awful local bar has decorated itself to look like Santa’s Grotto which is so many levels of wrong (it is on a busy street and open in the day…), Children will think it is actually where Santa is, and potentially people who don’t come from the area will think the same! Saying that though, this is the same tiny drag bar that is always full of smoke machines that took an actual pony in there for one of their theme nights 😦
5. What ‘critter’ are you most afraid of encountering unexpectedly? Why that one?
Spiders! I know it is cliché but I am so scared of spiders. I always have been. It is okay when they are still but as soon as they start moving I jump on the train to nopesville. It really doesn’t help with being a cleaner at some clients homes!
6. Do you like building things? What’s the last thing you ‘built’?
I do! Though I am not sure what the last thing was! Perhaps a phone stand.
7. In keeping with this month’s theme of gratitude…what are you most grateful for that brings beauty to your daily life?
Well you only need to take one look at my TToT category to see loads of the things I am thankful for. But in particular my friends and family. And that includes the fur babies. I am so lucky to have such wonderful people around me.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I need to blog more! I am off to a game testing day today and getting a free haircut beforehand so I will leave a review of the cut at least! I am also working on a review of my new phone (which is a long review) so I hope you will enjoy that!
Now go join the hodgepodge!